Top fuel efficiency. Top performance. Maximum agility. No Compromise.
I-Torque’s versatile design delivers a new level of performance— no matter what your haul looks like.
16% Fuel savings
+31% Freight efficiency
*within 55 - 85 MPH driving range
What if a trucker designed a truck?
“You used to have to choose between power and efficiency. We set out to fix that.”
- Joel Morrow
D13 Turbo Compound engine
A truly unique engine for a truly unique truck. Available only for Volvo VNL, the D13TC brings even better fuel economy savings and more power.
The 13-speed I-Shift combines the fuel efficiency advantages of direct drive with the performance and flexibility of overdrive, optimizing the truck’s speed and gear shifting in the most fuel efficient way for any type of route or terrain.
Volvo I-See predictive cruise control
I-See employs real-time map-based data and GPS position to map road topography. Together with the dynamic performance and variable gearing of the I-Shift transmission, I-See becomes an intelligent cruise control that uses its knowledge of the road to save time and fuel.
Adaptive gear shift
When steep-grade startability and low-speed maneuverability are critical, the I-Shift with Crawler Gears is the answer for maximum GCW loads, enabling controlled travel at extremely slow speeds.
4.3 billion miles
worth of data on the D13TC engine.
See how much you could save.
Discover potential fuel savings by comparing the revolutionary D13TC with some of our previous engine models.
In the news
Volvo Trucks Magazine
- “I-Torque is designed to provide increased fuel mileage by combining the advantages of direct drive with the performance and flexibility of overdrive. Properly spec'd trucks are seeing up to 8.5 miles per gallon at speeds of 55-85 miles per hour, depending on the truck weight and terrain of the route” said Peter Voorhoeve, president, Volvo Trucks North America.
Volvo Trucks North America Introduces I-Torque™, an Industry-First Powertrain Solution Taking Fuel Efficiency, Drivability and Productivity to New Heights
- Volvo Trucks North America adds to its track record of industry-first breakthroughs in powertrain innovation with the Volvo I-Torque. Now available as an option with the latest D13 Turbo Compound engine, I-Torque is designed to achieve best-in-class fuel efficiency, without compromising performance, drivability and productivity.
With Continued North American Success, Volvo Trucks’ D13 Turbo Compound Engine Now Standard on All VNL Models
- The enhanced D13 Turbo Compound (D13TC) engine from Volvo Trucks is now standard on all Volvo VNL models, providing enhanced fuel efficiency and reducing overall cost of ownership.
Volvo Trucks Makes Latest-Generation D13 Turbo Compound Engine Standard in all VNL 740, 760 and 860 Models
- Volvo Trucks North America has taken strategic measures to continue setting new standards in fuel efficiency and providing best-in-class fuel economy for its customers while reducing its products’ greenhouse gas emissions footprint. And because increasing operational efficiency and cutting fuel costs is more important today than ever before, the company has further enhanced its fuel economy packages for both the Volvo VNL and VNR models.
The Cash Machine: Volvo Trucks’ New Communications Campaign Spotlights How Customers Can Live a Little and Save a Lot
- Two years ago, Volvo Trucks introduced the first generation of its Turbo Compound engine in their Volvo VNL model range. Following on the success of that technology and the positive customer and driver feedback on fuel savings and drivability, Volvo engineers started working on the next generation, which delivers fuel savings up to 11% compared to 2015 model-year trucks.
Find a dealer
Our world-class dealer network, with more than 430 locations, means your truck is never far from the top-quality care and maintenance you’ve come to expect.